Emily Paxhia is a co-founder and one of the Managing Directors of Poseidon Asset Management.
Emily has reviewed thousands of companies in the cannabis industry and has worked with countless founders in many capacities. She had helped to shape founders' pitch preparations, their go-to-market strategies/ product launches, and advised on day-to-day business operations. Emily has held board seats for three portfolio companies and participates as an adviser to multiple teams.
Extremely active in the investment decision making and ongoing investment oversight processes, she works closely with her partners to create meaningful deal structures, ensuring that proper governance is carried out at the company level. Further, Emily has dedicated time and energy to supporting policy groups and serves on the Board of Directors of the Marijuana Policy Project.
Emily has over 10 years of experience working as a consultant and researcher, and as such, has become an expert at extracting actionable insights from research and applying them to make corporations function more efficiently and successfully. She also leverages this experience to engage in detailed market analysis for determination around product-market fit and potential scalability.
Emily graduated from New York University with an M.A. in Psychology in 2008. She graduated from Skidmore College with a B.A. in Psychology in 2002.
Morgan Paxhia is a co-founder and one of the Managing Directors of Poseidon Asset Management, one of the longest running funds in the cannabis industry.
With over ten years experience in investing and finance, Morgan has developed a deep understanding of individual company analysis, portfolio construction, and risk mitigation. Since 2012, he has dedicated his investment focus primarily to the cannabis industry. Given the limited amount of information in this emerging vertical, the lack of institutional research, and relative industry immaturity, Morgan embraces an active approach of working closely with companies. He utilizes a “boots on the ground” methodology to better understand individual companies and the industry. Through his extensive travel across the US and Canada, reviewing hundreds of business plans and overseeing several existing cannabis investments, Morgan has developed Poseidon’s investment methodology tailored specific to the business of cannabis. Poseidon’s proprietary process is driven by the time spent in the industry and the considerable data collected over the last several years. He has created frameworks for analysis depending on sub-sector, company stage, and participation across the capital spectrum through our database of contacts, valuations, metrics, and other relevant factors.
Morgan started his investment career at UBS Financial Services working in a Wealth Management/ Investment Banking hybrid training program. The training brought a wide range of first hand experience working through several facets of the organization, including advisory teams managing assets for high net worth individuals and municipal bonds trading. Following UBS, Morgan transitioned to a Providence-based Registered Investment Advisor as an Investment Consultant. During that time, he worked under the partners of the firm doing fundamental portfolio management.
Morgan graduated from the University of Rhode Island with a B.S. in Applied Mathematics in 2005.
Tad Henderson is a Managing Director of Poseidon Asset Management. Tad’s 25+ years of experience in finance, business development and operations in highly regulated environments makes him a key member of the Poseidon team as we actively work with our portfolio companies to achieve extraordinary growth. Tad’s leadership background in financial services, technology and healthcare services allows him to pull best practices from mature industries that helps to shorten the time to meaningful returns for Poseidon’s portfolio.
Prior to joining Poseidon, Tad was the Chief Operating Officer (COO) for CALSTAR, an air ambulance operator based in Sacramento, CA. As the COO Tad was responsible for the day-to-day operations of the company which included both Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) compliance and state compliance for both flight operations and medical operations.
Before CALSTAR Tad spent 12 years in financial services where he was a Debt Transaction Specialist in both New York and San Francisco, and another 5+ years in the technology sector selling technology solutions to commercial and investment banks.
Tad holds a BSBA in Management from Georgetown University’s McDonough School of Business, and a Certificate of Executive Education from the University of California, Berkeley, Haas School of Business, with a focus in venture capital and finance. Tad is also a certified Lean Six Sigma Black Belt.
Prior to joining Poseidon, Andy, CPA, was an auditor for Deloitte and Touche in their New York City office.
At Deloitte, Andy was a member of the lead audit engagement of a large public company getting detailed experience in the financial close and reporting process.
During his last 10K audit, Andy spearheaded the audit of a multi-billion dollar diversified investments portfolio. His critical perspective as auditor lends valuable insight to the due diligence process as well as a platform for providing meaningful assistance to Poseidon’s portfolio companies.
During his undergrad, Andy received his BS in accounting at the State University of New York at Geneseo. Andy spent summers interning at an electronics component manufacturing company in Port-au-Prince, Haiti, as well as a healthcare imaging company in Rochester, NY.
Awards and Accolades
We are honored to have been recognized by several institutional bodies within the financial sector for the performance of our fund. Our awards include:
- Best Emerging Sector-Focused Fund (Since Inception) 2018, awarded by Acquisition International. Regarding this award, they remarked that despite social and political challenges, "many firms have excelled in the last twelve months, working diligently to provide strong returns and quality investor support... This award was given solely on merit and are awarded to commend those most deserving for their ingenuity and hard work, distinguishing them from their competitors and proving them worthy of recognition." More detail on this award on our blog.
- Best Agri-Business Investment Manager 2017 - California & Best Agricultural Hedge Fund (Since Inception), awarded by Wealth and Finance International. Now in its fourth year, these awards cast a light on the individuals, firms and departments across all sectors that have played a part in shaping a dynamic and imitable industry.
- Top Performing Hedge Fund Award for the last 3 years running, awarded by Barclay Hedge. Poseidon Asset Management LLC has been featured in the quarterly publication, Barclay Managed Funds Report (BMFR). Our fund, Demeter, has ranked # 1 in the alternative sector for 4th Quarter, 2016.
- #3 Performing Fund in the Non Traditional Sector, Past Three Years running, as awarded by the Barclay Managed Funds Report.
- Best Emerging Agricultural Hedge Fund and Most Pioneering Hedge Fund Manager, 2017. Both awarded by Acquisition International at the 2017 AI Awards. Coordinator Peter Rujgev of AI commented: “It has been a true honor to be able to showcase the hard work and commitment of every one of our deserving winners. This program has been going on for five years now, and during that time we have highlighted some of the industry’s greats. I hope all of our award winners have the very best of luck going forward…”
Poseidon Asset Management is dedicated to providing the most curated portfolio focusing on the cannabis industry, putting capital to work funding the most promising ventures in the industry and allowing investors to grow with them.
We are committed to growing with the burgeoning cannabis industry in an honest, responsible, non-exploitative way.
Poseidon pledges to work toward changing the old, outdated perceptions of cannabis as a danger to society, and to replace that idea, through education and example.
Poseidon seeks to end cannabis prohibition and all the injustices and harms that prohibition inflicts.
Poseidon is committed to showing the good cannabis can render as a medicine, for adult use, and as a material that can aid humans in living sustainably and responsibly in communion with all humans, animals, and insects with whom we share this planet.